Veryant Ships COBOL Products for Cloud, Modernization
Veryant is shipping two new COBOL modernization products to help businesses develop, deploy, and update COBOL applications faster and more efficiently. Another of Veryant's product launches also brings COBOL to cloud computing.
Veryant is shipping two new COBOL modernization products to help businesses develop, deploy, and update COBOL applications faster and more efficiently. Veryant is also bringing COBOL to cloud computing.
Veryant’s latest product releases in its isCOBOL family are:
- isCOBOL Web Direct 2.0, which connects business applications to the cloud, and so they can deploy fully-interactive Web 2.0 applications on demand as part of their software as a service (SaaS) offerings; and
- isCOBOL SQL Server, which adds a flexible relational database engine to ISAM files without changing current program code or data.
“Now it is even easier to make COBOL applications and data part of mobile cloud computing and other new service delivery initiatives,” said Alfredo Iglesias, vice president at Veryant, in a statement. “Veryant’s latest release uniquely provides cost-effective alternatives that extend the life of existing business investments.”
Other new features and enhancements in the latest isCOBOL release include:
- Enhancements to the Import Wizard and File Designer in the Eclipse-based isCOBOL IDE, so the transitions to isCOBOL from alternative COBOL platforms goes more smoothly;
- Support for dumb terminals and terminal emulators, making it easier to update character-based legacy applications; and
- The addition of a Java-based file system connector, so isCOBOL ISAM Server files can be deployed in 100% pure Java application environments.
One ISV using the new isCOBOL APS release is ERP vendor i-Modulas Software.
René van Oevelen, software architect at i-Modulas Software BV, said using isCOBOL APS, his company can offer SaaS without having to install proprietary software and platform-specific client software. In addition, he said Veryant lets i-Modulas update its existing applications and development products very affordably.
isCOBOL APS blends the business nature of COBOL with the openness, portability, and power of the Java platform, and there’s no need to retrain staff or rewrite code, the company said.
isCOBOL APS 2009 SP1 is available immediately.
More information on Veryant's latest isCOBOL offerings is available.